Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Done

Like all my other class mates I suggest to start early on the research project. It is extremely time consuming. I suggest selecting a topic as soon as possible, that way you can start your research early. When doing the article critiques select an article that relates to your topic. This step helped me out by giving me some background on my topic. I did my research paper on gang prevention. I looked the effectiveness of school based programs such as GREAT, which aim to limit gang membership. I also looked at how police supervision has lowered gang activity.
What I really found helpful was the Social Control Theory by Travis Hirschi. The book is available at the school library. Understanding why adolescents join gangs is a key to stopping gang membership among them. The social control theory goes in depth with reasons why one can seek a gang.
 Hirschi, T. (1969). Causes of delinquency. Berkeley: University of California Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment