Sunday, June 10, 2012

Finally, it is over !

Right off the bat, this class was filled with writing assignments. Although it is beneficial to write on a daily basis, first half of the quarter had an assignment due every other class period. I was accustomed to writing in MLA format and in this class, you are required to write in APA format. My word of advice, stick through this class even though it is filled with writing assignments. Be prepared as well as open minded to learn and absorb the new material presented. I think the most dreadful assignment is the 10-12 page literature review. It may seem easy because it is a review or analysis of the current presented information, but it is time consuming so pick a topic as soon as the professor assigns a due date or brings it up in class.
I did my research on gang prevention, focusing on adolescent teens. I looked into whether in-school programs were more effective as opposed to after school program. I recommend going to the website of www.ojjdp.gov and look up all the programs if you want to get a good idea of what types of programs you want to look into. I chose two programs the Boys and Girls Club and the GREAT program. I would suggest that you look into programs you are familiar with or have heard of before so you dont have to look into new programs.
Lastly, things I would have done differently would probably be picking up the material at a faster rate. In terms of understanding what a literature review is and also be able to write and not get sidetracked. Another thing is that the library trips is very helpful, the librarian that helped us was great help. She teaches you how to look up and narrow your research information. Books are also helpful, dont underestimate books, it may be time consuming to find information, but it can support your research paper and make it a stronger paper.
Stick with the class, dont procrastinate, and good luck to future Crim 301 students !

No comments:

Post a Comment