Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Reliving English 101 nightmare?? :(

Registering for the class was a joy, finishing the class was a nightmare. But yet, bad experiences are not always that great especially when you have to write a paper based on a literature review. But all through the quarter, Professor Jennifer Hicks responded to your messages right away and when ask for advice she gave you the best. Which at some point I could advice you to not sweat it on the paper, but that would be a total lie. Overall I did my paper on HOW EXCESSIVE USE OF FORCE BY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS EFFECT THE RELATIONSHIP WITH THE COMMUNITY. The only advice I can always give to people not only in these cases, but in college overall, is to never lag anything. Especially for a research paper based on a Literature Review. Jot down the things that you already know about your subject and then research on things that will back up your ideas. In my case I knew about different variables that had effected the relationship between law enforcement and the community, but now that I am done with the research, I now know that the variables such as Race, Media, and Experiences tend to play a big role in this subject. (Hint: When researching about this topic, these variables are most likely to come out in your findings). What I wish I would have known and done differently: Other variables that I could have research and if they possibly have an effective as well in the studies and what I could have done differently is to be able to organize my notes and information more carefully. The research question for this literature review is Why does the excessive use of force by law enforcement damage the relationship between police officers and the people they are meant to protect? The theories that are best to look at in this type of subject: Conflict, Us Versus them, and Social Construction (you must believe that you can relate these theories to the variables that I mentioned). For example, one article that explained it all was: Rome, M. D., and Son, I., and Davis, M. (1995). Police use of excessive force: Does the race of  the suspect influence citizens perceptions. Social Justice Research 8(1). (YOU CAN FIND THESE ARTICLE IN THE ARTICLE DATABASE FROM THE CAL STATE LA LIBRARY WEBSITE) just by putting the first or last name of the author and the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment