Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Small Steps


The biggest advice for doing this paper is starting early. Begin by reading a few books and articles. Determine what direction you want to take on your topic if you haven't already. Look in the index for key words related to your topic and read those sections. Looking for articles might be easier if you use some of the key words you looked up in the index. As you read place tabs on pages with information and take notes. Cite as you go will save you so much time. Start as soon as you have some information. Don't tell yourself you'll start once you have more information because you'll just procrastinate. Write it by sections so it doesn't seem as overwhelming. Make an appointment for the UWC more than a  week before your deadline. Visit Professor Hicks to get the best feedback.



If I would have to do this assignment again, I would change some things. I would make an appointment  at the UWC ahead of time.Sometimes it's really busy, so waiting can waste your time (especially if you have a busy schedule). I would stick more to my deadlines and specify sections I should have written by that date. I would take better notes because I wasted time checking my sources. 

I researched juvenile delinquency and the influence of family. I wanted to know how much parents influence a child's to engage in delinquency. I looked at factors of the parent-child relationship, like discipline, discord, family structure, affection, and support. I had many sources. But, I consider the following sources the most useful:

Farrington, D. P. & Welsh, B. C. (2007). Saving children from a life of crime: Early risk factors and effective interventions.


Flowers, R. B. (2009). The adolescent criminal: an examination of today’s juvenile offender.
Shoemaker, D. J.
Theories of delinquency: An examination of explanations of delinquent behavior.
Juvenile delinquency.

The previous are books found in the CSULA library.


Sokol-Katz, J., Dunham R. & Zimmerman, R. (1997). Family structure versus parental attachment in controlling adolescent deviant behavior: A social control model. Retrieved from http://mimas.calstatela.edu/login?url=?did=11591348&sid=1&Fmt=4&clientId=17855&RQT=309&VName=PQD

No comments:

Post a Comment