Thursday, March 15, 2012

Treating Police Stress

            This assignment is the longest paper I have ever written for a class because I had to make sure I evaluated and synthesize my information clearly. It takes a lot of time to complete it. It took me days to finish this assignment not only for trying to analyzing information, but also working on other assignments in my other classes.My research paper is twenty five pages long with the title page and the reference pages. My advice to future students is the following:
1.Once you find a topic that is interesting or relates to your future career in criminal justice and that the professor approves it, get as many sources as you can ASAP. (get an even amount of books and journal articles; also get more than 8 or 10 sources).
2. Get sources that are not too difficult to understand, but not too easy either.
3.Do not slack off for a second because with this research assignment it takes time to read through sources you can use for your paper and analyze it to your own understanding.
4. Always ask the professor for help in the research project or else you will be stressed out.
5. Read all your sources carefully and thoroughly because if you do not understand what the sources are about and why those sources matter, you take a very long time in getting the paper done.
6. You must focus on one part of the research paper a day instead of writing the whole paper in one setting.
7. Relax and be patience in finding and analyzing your sources because if you understand the source, you can apply it in your research paper clearly.
8. Always email the professor like crazy to get feedback on the content of your paper.
           I wish I had more patience in analyzing my sources for my research project because I got worried of not submitting the paper on time and I had to make time to work on other assignments for my other classes. I will admit I am proud of choosing the topic on treating police stress because I plan on being a police officer and I found it to be appropriate topic since I myself am stressed from working on this paper. I hope to learn how to relax a little by learning different types of solutions of treating stress like coping skills(mediation, diet, exercise, etc.) to prepare myself to be a police officer. My research question was "what are the best ways to treat police stress? I found lots of solutions like individual coping skills, a police hotline, and stress management training. One of the most useful sources I used was Police stress: history, contributing factors, symptoms, and interventions by Judith A. Waters and William Ussery (2007). This source can be found in the Cal State LA library website and click on articles. Then find the criminal justice proquest database and type in keywords police stress and law enforcement. Finally, click on the fourth selection called Police stress: history, contributing factors, symptoms, and interventions by Judith A. Waters and William Ussery (2007). In general, you can find sources for police stress or any other topic in criminal justice at databases like crim. justice proquest or EBSCO Crim. Justice Abstracts with Full Text. Once you go through the databases mentioned type in keywords of your topic specifically in what area you will be looking at like treatments, stress, law enforcement. Overall, good luck in this class you guys will need it for the workload, but I can get guarantee that the professor will be very helpful and take advantage of her kind and understanding personality, but make sure you put in effort in her class and you will be rewarded with a good/passing grade.



No comments:

Post a Comment